My mother must have had quite a sense of humor when she had me. My father tells me she waited until her last hour in the hospital to name me. Well I know there's nothing funny or weird about that in itself, but wait until you hear what she actually named me, my full name.
But regardless I guess it's for the best, my given name. For those who bother to get to know me, it serves as a fore warning, that I myself am not a basket full of normality's. And for those who stick around, well they know I live up to my name, always. Rather I want to or not.
My mom is African American, or black, whatever; and Sioux Indian, part of the Lakota Tribe. Well my mom's family, the Indian influence, said my name is a blessing. My superstitious black side said she cursed me and should never have mothered a child from a voodoo priest. Boy, family reunions are fun. And by the way my dad isn't voodoo anything, he is part Dominican and part Haitian, and it's a common misconception that Haitians practice voodoo. But anyways. My opinion of my name is that my mom knew exactly what my future held and named me appropriately. Mind you that doesn't mean I like it, but I do admit it's different. I don't see it as being a blessing or a curse, although at times it can feel like both.
Let me properly introduce myself, my name is Vi'Syon NaRae Sage. Pronounced Vision Na-ray. If you roughly translate it, it mean, "Old wise one who sees visions." Yes, I suppose even I sound cynical. But unfortunately it's all true. I often see visions in my dreams, and my Lakota family said I will soon be able to walk in dreams. I sometimes zone out and see visions, but regardless if it's in a dream or I'm wide awake I can't hear when I'm in one. Very interesting and complicated stuff. But here is my story.
Vi'Syon sat up straight, stretched and gave a casual look around the school library. "Gosh this is gonna be a hard story to write, why did Dr. Levy have to decide to issue a last minute "get to know thyself" essay. Uggh!!" She so hated school right now. Besides, Dr. Levy would take one look at the essay and trash it as being fiction. Why couldn't she have a normal life at times? She couldn't dare tell him her dad wanted her to look into become the first Mambos of the family. No one would understand that Voodoo is not an actual religion, that it is actually Vodoun and has a lot of similar beliefs as Christianity. Vi'Syon suddenly felt like she was being watched. She glanced up, and "Whoa! When did he get there?" she wondered. It was the same tall, slightly good looking, ok, very good looking guy, that she has caught looking, staring, maybe even ogling her for the past week. Only difference is that he was no longer behind a tree or across the room, he was like a foot away from her. "Umm, can I ..." Vi'Syon started when he cut her off." Hello Yin." Gosh but he sounded great. "Excuse me? You must have me mistaken with someone else." He just grinned at her and stuck his hands in the pockets of his very beat up, very faded jeans. Vi'Syon grabbed her books and got up from where she had been sitting, she looked at him one more time and turned and walked off. "He probably thought that was a good pick up line. Jerk." She felt a tap on her shoulder, she stopped abruptly and turned, there he was, rebel without a care, grinning at her. "Yes?" He handed her a notebook she had left on the table. "Thank you." She replied as she looked at her books stupidly. She turned to walk away and the guy said" You're more than welcome Ms. Sage." Vi'Syon gawked at him, "How do you know my name?" He just tipped an imaginary hat to her, grinned and walked past her. "Ok." she thought. A bell started going off in the background. "Oh no! I'm gonna be late for Dr. Levy's class." She stuffed the books in her tote and took off running to class.
No comments:
Post a Comment